Friday, September 13, 2013

The Lies Begin to Unravel

Dumbstruck!  The judge present during this exchange asked Korihor, if he believed in God now. You asked for it.  You've got it!

And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the power of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always knew that there was a God.  But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me. (Alma 30: 52-53)
 
I find this to be an interesting argument.  He knows there is no god because an angel appeared and told him so?  Say what?!  He certainly must have believed in the devil for the devil told him what to teach to appeal to the licentious mind.  If there is a devil, then where did he come from? 
 
Like so many others before and since, his argument of "The devil made me do it" fell on deaf ears.  He asked Alma to lift the curse now that he had "confessed." But Alma knew his heart.  Just as he knew Zeezrom and knew that his repentance was genuine, he knew the Korihor's repentance was not.  He said, If this curse should be taken from thee thou wouldst again lead away the hearts of this people; therefore, it shall be unto thee even as the Lord will. (Alma 30:55)  Certainly the Lord knew Korihor's heart as well, for He willed that the curse not be taken away.
 
Korihor was cast out, and went about from house to house begging for his food. (v 56)  Those who had been taken in by his false teachings were immediately sobered when news of what had happened reached them.  Many repented and came back to God.
 
God prefers us to come unto Him with love.  However, there will always be those who are motivated by fear.  The "fear of God" or "God-fearing" refers to respect, not actual fear.  Perhaps the people who came back gained a respect for God when they witnessed His power.
 
Text copyright September 2013, Gebara Education
 
Picture from www.lds.org

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment