Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reflections on Recovery, part 1

I have been attending 12-Step meetings with a friend.  I had thought to wait in the waiting room for him, but he asked if I would come in to the meeting.  I am so glad he did.  The meetings are spiritually uplifting and draw my thoughts, feelings, and behavior closer to God.  I believe everyone should study and work the 12 Steps. 

The book I recommend is the Addiction Recovery Program published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because it specifically acknowledges that Jesus Christ is the higher power.  Only He, through His infinite grace and atonement, has the power to save us.  We all need saving, even though our broken parts may not be as obvious as those of an addict.

In the workbook I mention, there are scriptural references and places to journal any thoughts or feeling presented by the Spirit.  Here are a few of my notes:

Step 1: Admit that your life has become unmanageable and that you, by yourself, cannot do it alone. *
  • I have lately felt encompassed about by many in my community who feel it is their right-nay-responsibility to judge me.  This is usually expressed in gossip and rumor-mongering.  These often well-meaning people don't understand me at all.  The gossiping is never well-meaning, even if the person prefaces it with "I'm worried about . . . "  It is still gossip. 
  • I am hanging on to my faith in Christ and His teachings in Matthew 25:34-45.  I am through trying to explain myself.  As Dr. Seuss said, "Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
  • I do put my trust in my Savior.  The hardest part for me is being patient in tribulation and recognizing that God's time is not my time.  Has he not come through with miracles?  Yes, and He will again. I cling to the remembrance of God's tender mercies.
  • I am feeling very humbled these days as I have faced adversity.  If I didn't have Christ and my testimony of Him and the companionship of the Holy Spirit, I would be nothing.  I know that I am of infinite worth to Him, while yet in a fallen world.  I attempt daily to stay close to my Savior and learn from His example.  He was often berated for supping with sinners. Even though I know I am nothing compared to Him, I am loved by Him unconditionally.  Therefore, I refuse to be depressed or dejected.  I will stand tall in the light of God's love in, for, and through me.
  • One of my favorite scriptures illustrating the relationship of God to His human children.  It is found in the Psalms: When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
    What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?  For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. (Psalm 8: 3-5)   Or as Moses said after talking to God face to face and seeing all His creations, "Now for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed." (Moses 1:10)
These are just of few of the things I wrote in my journal during the First Step meeting.  Thanks for allowing me to be frank.


* I have adapted the steps to a more generic form that speaks to anyone who ever feels that his/her life has become unmanageable, even if it is only temporary.

Copyright April 12, 2015 by Gebara Education

2 comments:

  1. I love the twelve steps! They are so empowering. Everyone really does need them. I call the ARP workbook my "Using the Atonement: For Dummies" book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what it is in a nutshell. A step by step guide to the atonement and repentance process.

    ReplyDelete