Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Blessings of the Fathers

Abram was born in Ur in ancient Mesopotamia.  He left Ur seeking to possess the blessings of the fathers. 


In the land of the Chaldeans, at the residence of my fathers, I, Abraham, saw that it was needful for me to obtain another place of residence; And finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought the blessings of the fathers. . .  (Abraham 1: 1, 2)

Who were these fathers?  We know from both Genesis and Abraham that Abram's father, Terah, and those in his immediate ancestry had turned to idolatry. It was certainly not his own father's blessings he sought as his own father had forfeited his blessings through his own choices.  My fathers, having turned from their righteousness, and from the holy commandments which the Lord their God had given unto them, unto the worshipping of the gods of the heathen, utterly refused to hearken to my voice; for their hearts were set to do evil. . . (Abraham 1: 5, 6)

Gods of Ancient Sumer
It is clear from the words turned from, Terah had once been a monotheist who had apostatized when he chose to become polytheist.  It seems as if being politically correct was a problem even in 2000 B.C.!  How Abram remained faithful is a tribute to his spiritual strength.
This week, I will be exploring the identity of the fathers to who Abram referred as having blessings to place upon his head.  Out first clue? - Abraham 1:3:It was conferred upon me from the fathers; it came down from the fathers, from the beginning of time, yea, even from the beginning, or before the foundation of the earth, down to the present time, even the right of the firstborn, or the first man, who is Adam, or first father, through the fathers unto me.

Tomorrow: Adam.


©Gebara Education 2016
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment