Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Death of Lehi

The great prophet, Lehi, grew old.  Before he died, he called his children and grandchildren to him for blessing and admonition.  He had great fear for the safety and salvation of his two eldest sons who had been so rebellious.  He said:

. . . wherefore, my sons, I would that ye would remember; yea, I would that ye would hearken unto my words.  O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe.  Awake! and arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling parent, whose limbs ye must soon lay down in the cold and silent grave, from whence no traveler can return; a few more days and I go the way of all the earth.  But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love. (2 Nephi 1: 12-15)
 
Afterward, he called the children of Laman, then of Lemuel, then of the sons of Ishmael.  He gave them a blessing and asked that their sins might be laid to the account of their parents to the extent that their parents led them astray.  Said he:
 
But behold, my sons and my daughters, I cannot go down to my grave save I should leave a blessing upon you; for behold, I know that if ye are brought up in the way ye should go ye will not depart from it.  Wherefore, if ye are cursed, behold, I leave my blessing upon you, that the cursing may be taken from you and be answered upon the heads of your parents (2 Nephi 4: 5-6)
 
Lehi likewise blessed Sam, whose seed was to numbered with Nephi's.  We don't know why Sam is not given his own lineage in the Book of Mormon.  Perhaps he had no sons or perhaps he had special needs or challenges.  Whatever the case, Sam was always faithful and was blessed with Nephi.  Even Zoram was given a special blessing by Lehi because he had always been such a good friend to Nephi.
 
And it came to pass after my father, Lehi, had spoken unto all his household, according to the feelings of his heart and the Spirit of the Lord which was in him, he waxed old. And it came to pass that he died, and was buried. (2 Nephi 4: 12)
 
Text not from the Book of Mormon copyright July 2013 Gebara Education
 
Pictures from www.lds.org 
- except -
Photo above of Nephi and Lehi from www.Palmyramission.org
Brown tone picture of Lehi from www.bookofmormonmovie.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment