Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Prayer of Enos

Enos was the son of the Book of Mormon prophet, Jacob.  In his early years, he didn't have a personal testimony of God the Father nor of the Savior Messiah He had promised to send.  He was living on borrowed light from his own father.  Then one day, while on a hunting trip, all of that changed.

I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.  Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.  And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.  And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.  And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away. (Enos 1: 2-6)
 
Enos knew that his sins were forgiven through his faith in Messiah who was yet to come.  And in that moment, his life was changed forever.  He valiantly served God and preached the coming of Messiah all the days of his life.  As his life drew to a close, he wrote these words for his posterity:
 
I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen. (Enos 1: 27)
 
None of us can live on borrowed light.  When we struggle under the burden of sin, remember, He is only a prayer away. Try it.  It just might change your life.
 
Pictures from www.lds.org and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment