Monday, July 2, 2012


Daddy's Shoes
I've had a couple of really hectic weeks.  Last night, I had a  bizarre dream - one of those jumbled messes that are difficult to describe in words.  I remember at one point calling 911 and having no one answer!  I said to myself, "Why is this ringing for so long?  This is 911 for goodness sake!  You're supposed to help people like me!"  In the midst of this turmoil, I saw my dad walking toward me.  I was thrilled to see him because he's been gone for 4 years.  Everything around him was calm, like the eye of a hurricane.  He looked at my feet.  I was wearing my knock-around sandals.  He handed me his shoes and told me they would help.  I said, "Thank you, Daddy, but I'm afraid they are too big for me."  He just smiled and said, "Put them on.  I think you will find they fit perfectly."  I put them on and when I looked up, he was gone and the dream was over.

When I was finally conscious enough to process the dream, I realized that the turmoil was a reflection of my feelings for some time now.  Calling 911 and getting no help was indicative of the way I've been feeling - like the Lone Ranger with no cavalry in sight.  When my dad gave me his shoes, my first thought was that they would be too big.  It was an hour or so before it dawned on me that what I was saying is that I cannot fill his shoes.  He was larger than life and left big shoes to fill.  But apparently he had confidence in me that I could. (In the dream, at least, the shoes did fit.)

What does it mean to fill my dad's shoes?  I think that's the question every generation must ask at one time or another.  How can I give to my children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren (and siblings) what my dad has given to me?  And how can I prepare my children to do the same for their progeny when the time comes.

This is not an easy question with a short and easy answer.  It is going to take some quiet time, prayer, and pondering.  I would love to hear your ideas about what it means to fill Dad's shoes.

2 comments:

  1. This made me tear up a bit.
    As the oldest, the responsibilities he left feel like yours. His children are grown, but it's a first-born thing, I think, to assume care of the others. At least in some ways. Trying to fill shoes of a parent sounds exhausting. No one can do that. But, leaving your own legacy of love with your children and grandchildren doesn't have to be taxing. They love you because you are you. Because of the lifetime of service and patience and love you've given.
    If you are following in the footsteps of big shoes, there is extra room for you to feel loved while you make your own way. Room to grow into them. We'll never be able to fill the shoes of our Savior, but it's a worthy goal. Be the best you and treat everyone like they are the most important person in the world - and then they'll have big shoes to fill, too. Your best is all you can do. And for people who love you, that is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thoughts, J - Thanks for sharing. FYI, I cried when I wrote it and every time I read it. I miss him a lot.

    ReplyDelete