Sunday, September 30, 2012

Reflections on Women's Conference


Last night was the annual Women's Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  With so much in the greater culture that devalues women, it is soul affirming to hear uplifting messages of hope and affirmation. 

I found the quote below on Facebook.  I admire C. S. Lewis and have several of his books and have read many of his quotes, but this is one I had never seen before.  It, too, is an affirmation of one of my key roles as a woman.  Even though I had a successful career outside my home because I was widowed young and had to work, my most challenging and rewarding career was the work I did ~ and still do ~ with my children and grandchildren.

This is also one of the two oldest careers on earth, given to women by God in the Garden of Eden.  As one of my friends put it "weeds and labor pains!"  Both careers were given, not as curses, but as blessings, given for our sakes. (See Genesis 3 : 16-20) 

So, Sisters, on those days when we feel like giving up, remember that ours is the ultimate career.  We have divine potential.  The Savior loved us enough to die for us.  He will never leave our sides.  He has graven us on the palms of His hands. (See Isaiah 49 : 16)

So I will go forward each day and build my home with love and courage ~ even though I am now the only one in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment