Thursday, September 20, 2012

Step 6: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh and I will give you an heart of flesh.  And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." (Ezekiel 36: 26-27)

In the first five steps, we have begun to repent of sin.  In steps six and seven, we begin to repent of sinning. We are ready to change, not just our lifestyles, but our very characters.  In step six, we are praying for a new heart.  Many people who enter recovery may be tempted to quit now.  They have made some major behavioral changes and may  be feeling considerably stronger. [1]  But as tempting as it is to stop taking the antibiotic as soon as you start feeling better physically, it is not wise to do so.  The same can be said of recovery from spiritual and emotional illness as well. If you don't complete the course, it is easy to relapse.

An ancient prophet preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to a pagan king.  I don't know everything that was happening in the king's life that made him listen to the message, but he did listen and he wanted to believe.  He prostrated himself on the earth and prayed for the first time in his life: "O God, . . . if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee. . ." (Alma 22:18)  This is what we do in step six: we ask God to remove all of our defects.  We give away all of our sins.  We are truly humble and ready to receive Jesus' proffered "mighty change of heart." (Alma 5)

From my personal experience, this is a life-long process.  For me, it seems that as soon as I seem to get a handle on one thing, I become aware of something else that I need to take to the throne of grace.  As we conquer our grosser sins, the more subtle shortcomings become visible.  I have found Jesus to be most patient and gracious.  He never gives me more than I can bear.  He never gives me the whole load at once. He opens my eyes and humbles my heart one step at a time.
 
I used to have a huge need to be in control.  I wanted to see the entire path before me and became very nervous when I couldn't see that far ahead.  Now I am more willing - not yet perfect, but more willing - to say to Him, "Lead kindly, light, amid the encircling gloom; Lead thou me on.  The night is dark and I am far from home; Lead thou me on!  Keep thou my feet, I do not ask to see the distant scene; one step enough for me." [2]
  • Continue with prayer, scriptures, meditation, and journal.
  • Reach out for help as needed.
  • Be patient with God.
  • Be patient with yourself.
 
[1] LDS Family Services Addiction Recovery Program Guide, 2005
 
Text © 2012 Gebara Education
Posters downloaded from Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment