Friday, March 8, 2013

When the Cold Winds Blow


When I was in high school, I was required to memorize the fable, The Grasshopper and the Ant in French.  There was a line where the ant queen asks the grasshopper what he was going to do when the cold winds blow if he didn't prepare now.  I remember the line clearly (although I can no longer spell it in French.)  I think of it whenever it is a cold and windy day.  In the spring, I think of it a lot!

March always means cold wind in the White Mountains of Arizona.  One of the old-timers told me that Brigham Young told them to stay here until the wind quit blowing and they are all still here!  That may be a myth, but it is certainly applicable.

Life is like that.  Some days are sunny; some seasons, enriching.  Other times there are storms.  It pays to fill your emotional well when the sunny days and enriching seasons are upon you so that you don't fall apart when the cold winds blow. 

I have tried to do that, not only so that I don't fall over but that I will have the strength to stand as a calm and steadying anchor for those who are being battered by the storms of the their lives.  It works.
 
He ain't heavy; he's my brother.

Just sayin'.

Text copyright Gebara Education March 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment