Sunday, December 1, 2013

First Sunday of Advent

Today is the first Sunday of Advent.  It is the Sunday when I remember that my Savior, Jesus Christ, did not begin His mission in a stable in Bethlehem.  In truth, His mission began before the world was created.  The great patriarch, Abraham, learned that there was a Grand Council in Heaven.  And God said:
 
We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell; And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;
. . .
And the Lord said: Whom shall I send [to be the Savior]? And one answered like unto the Son of Man: Here am I, send me. And another answered and said: Here am I, send me. And the Lord said: I will send the first.  And the second was angry, and kept not his first estate; and, at that day, many followed after him. (Abraham 3: 24, 25, 27, 28)
 
Here are some Old Testament Messianic prophecies:
 
To Satan in Eden: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (Genesis 2: 15)
 
To the Prophet Michah: But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting. (Micah 5: 2)
 
To the Prophet, Isaiah: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9; 6)
 
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)
 
I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. (Isaiah 50: 6)
 
To King David:  They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21)
 
To Job:  For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:mAnd though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: (Job 19: 25, 26)
 
Text copyright December 1, 2013, Gebara Education
Picture from various sites on the web
 

No comments:

Post a Comment