Saturday, December 21, 2013

Fourth Sunday of Advent

 
And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Cæsar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.  And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.  And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judæa, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)  To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.  And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.  And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. (Luke 2: 1, 3-7)
 
The message of the fourth Sunday scripture is one of a promise kept ~ a promise made by God to man.  Men had known since the time of Adam that God would send His Son to crush the serpent's head.  God, the Son, the Great I Am, the Jehovah of the Old Testament had condescended to take upon Himself a mortal body and to come to earth as a helpless child.  The child that Mary delivered that night was destined to deliver us all.
A Book of Mormon prophet wrote: And the angel said unto me again: Look and behold the condescension of God!  And I looked and beheld the Redeemer of the world, of whom my father had spoken; and I also beheld the prophet who should prepare the way before him. And the Lamb of God went forth and was baptized of him; and after he was baptized, I beheld the heavens open, and the Holy Ghost come down out of heaven and abide upon him in the form of a dove.  And I beheld that he went forth ministering unto the people, in power and great glory; and the multitudes were gathered together to hear him; and I beheld that they cast him out from among them.
.  .  .
And [the angel] spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Lamb of God going forth among the children of men. And I beheld multitudes of people who were sick, and who were afflicted with all manner of diseases, and with devils and unclean spirits; and the angel spake and showed all these things unto me. And they were healed by the power of the Lamb of God; and the devils and the unclean spirits were cast out.  And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world; and I saw and bear record.  And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world. (1 Nephi 11: 26-28; 31-33)
 
Without Gethsemane, Golgotha, and Easter, there would be no Christmas. 
 
This Christmas will we let Him in or tell Him there is not room in our inns/hearts?  I know what my choice will be this Christmas and every day into the new year and beyond.
 
Text copyright December 2013, Gebara Education
 
Picture of Mary and Joseph with Jesus from www.lds.org/TheNativitymovie
 
Picture of advent candles from www.stteresa-avila.org
 
Picture of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus statues in a reflecting pool taken on Temple Square in Salt Lake City.

No comments:

Post a Comment