Sunday, December 1, 2013

69 Years, But Who's Counting!

 
I used to just keep chugging along all day, like an Energizer Bunny.  When I ran out of steam, a Hershey bar was all I needed and I was good for another three or four hours.

That was in the past.

Today, I celebrate 69 years on the turf.  Here are some things that have changed:
  1. I get out of bed about 6:00 A.M.  I wake up about 10:00.
  2. The shortest route between any 2 points is from wherever I am to the bathroom.
  3. If I don't get a chore done before noon, then it's not getting done that day.
  4. My arms have grown shorter and the print smaller.
  5. I have so many "focals" in my glasses that it is difficult to share a hymnal at Church (see #4 above.)
  6. I have re-written the fun Primary stretching song, Hinges [1]
  7. I could date short men because all my shoe heels are only 1" high.
  8. My back and teeth go out more than I do.
  9. I could sleep away the afternoon, but when I get in my bed at night, I'm liable to lie there counting all the places in my body that hurt.
  10. My daily to-do list is 1 item long.
  11. I can eat air and gain 3 pounds.
  12. A long walk for me is from the house to the mailbox.
  13. I still love to write.  My fingers get more exercise than the rest of my body combined.
  14. I love rereading many of my old books because I've long since forgotten who-done-it.
  15. I am so blessed to have lived 69 years and to enjoy children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.  I love them all dearly.  After all: consider the alternative!
[1] Hinges

I'm all made of hinges and all of them hurt.
From the top of my head past the hem of my skirt.
I hurt top to bottom and I hurt front to back.
Old age and arthritis make my hinges all CRACK!

Text copyright December 1, 2013
Gebara Education

No comments:

Post a Comment