Saturday, October 20, 2012

Just Sayin' Saturday~ Lions and Tigers and Remodeling, Oh My!

It's true.  Like Dorothy, I am no longer in Kansas!  I am remodeling and on a budget to boot!  Oh my!

It started, believe it or not, with some spots on my carpet.  It had managed to pick up a few stains in conspicuous places.  I had the carpet cleaned, but the spots came back. So I decided to get an area rug to hide the spots and to protect the light-colored carpet from further stains.

While I was thus contemplating this one little thing, I found that I could buy my sibs out of their interest in a painting from my grandmother's house.  I had long coveted the picture, but it looked as if we might have to sell it to share its value.  When the art appraisals came back much lower than expected, I decided I could afford to keep it in the family.  That, once done, opened the spillway and the floods came!

Did you ever experience the "as long as I'm doing this, I might as well do that?"  After I got the painting, I decided I wanted to change my color scheme in my great room to bring out the dominant colors in the artwork.  So I repainted my accent wall and kitchen.  I had found a little Navajo rug and pot at a swap meet to display in my little accent alcove. 

Then I had to decide about the area rug.  The one I liked was expensive and I struggled with the advisability of the purchase.  I finally decided to look again and headed for Home Depot.  I went to the rug rack to look at my favorite when I noticed 3 area rugs rolled up and sitting on a cart.  Apparently, those were the last of that pattern and were being moved out.  The associate unrolled part of one rug for me and I was thrilled!  Not only did it have all of the dominant colors from the painting, it cost much less than my original choice and, with its multi-colored pattern, it won't show spots! 

I got some plain sheer curtains from Sears and took down my apple print valances.  I finished the look with some inexpensive pillows from Big Lots.


The rest of my "redecorating" has involved moving furniture and paintings between rooms and rearranging things.  It looks like I have a new house and the cost came in at about $500. In this tight economy, redecorating by rearranging is a great strategy.

So next time you find a spot on your carpet, watch out.  You never know where that yellow brick road is going to lead you!

Picture of Dorothy from www.fanpop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment