Saturday, October 27, 2012

Just Sayin' Saturday ~ Plan(t)ning Ahead

I got all excited last spring when I ordered my vegetable seeds because I got a thank-you coupon for a bogo sale at Henry Fields' nursery for up to $100.00.  I took full advantage of the coupon to order my fall bulbs for the front garden.  I have so much bare space between the roses and I wanted something that would come up in the early spring besides weeds!  The bulbs arrived and I had my friends help me plant them.  They planted over 200 bulbs.  I am so excited for spring!  Here are the flowers we planted:
 
Crocus,  the first flowers of spring right in front


Tulips, 75 bulbs in the middle of the garden


Daffodils, should bloom right behind the crocus


Asiatic lilies, tall /stately at the back of the garden


Allium, a newcomer to my awareness

We planted the bulbs yesterday, and it is a good thing we did.  Today, it has turned quite cold and the wind is blowing dead leaves from golden trees. I built a fire today, the first of many, as fall will give way to winter before I blink twice. It always does.  When I was younger, I didn't plant bulbs.  I wanted already-growing-in-the-pot flowers I could transplant and enjoy immediately.  Now I am willing to spend the money and time months in advance to have a riot of color when the earth is still cold.  Crocuses and daffodils are so optimistic, coming up when there is still snow on the ground.  They are followed by tulips and lilies when spring is well underway.  Then in June, the roses begin to bloom just as the spring flowers begin to fade. And so the seasons go.  And so the seasons go.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1
 
Picture of balloon and tulips from Facebook
All other pictures from the Henry Fields' online catalogue at www.henryfields.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment