Thursday, October 4, 2012

Step 11 ~ Sought through [DAILY] prayer and [DAILY] meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge to His will for us [DAILY] and the power to carry that out.

This step seems pretty self-explanatory and it is.  The key to the step is the word [DAILY] which - if you hadn't noticed - I have added. Prayer, scripture reading, and meditation cannot be done on occasion or only when we are depressed or in trouble.  It has to be done every day and throughout the day - one day at a time.

If I can be personal (and when am I not?) I have found that as I have matured spiritually, that my tastes have changed.  I have always been conservative in terms of what I watch on television or at the movies, as well as the music I like.  But I find as I've gotten older (and, hopefully, wiser) things I might once have seen or heard comfortably now offend my spirit and hurt my heart.  Only you can decide what is or is not comfortable for you, but I strongly caution about not dumping spiritual mud into a newly sparkling soul. Remember, these steps have not been merely about one isolated addiction.  It is about a character formed by years of rationalization and projection and self-justification.  I repeat: it is not about repenting of sin; it's about repenting of sinning.

I will continue to sin because I'm human, but if I seek God's will daily, I won't get too far afield.  I once heard that a commercial airline is off-course most of the time, but because of it's automatic pilot, which makes constant course corrections, it arrives at the destination safely.  That's what we need to do: make course corrections so quickly along our walk through life that for all intents and purposes, we never leave the straight and narrow path.  Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit constitute our automatic pilot.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "God is my co-pilot."  Then, I saw another one that said: "If God is your co-pilot, you need to change seats!"  I agree with the second.

Text © 2012 Gebara Education
Picture of airliner from www.prlog.org
Posters downloaded from Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment