Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Sacrament

Claim the Blessings of Your Covenants
by Linda Reed
 
WHAT?
A mother I know of has sat alone at church for a number of years with her four young children. Seldom able to concentrate on the Savior during the sacrament, she formed a plan. Now she tries to spend time each Saturday reviewing her week and thinking about her covenants and what she needs to repent of. “Then,” she says, “no matter what kind of an experience I have with my children on Sunday, I am prepared to partake of the sacrament, renew my covenants, and feel of the cleansing power of the Atonement.”
 
SO WHAT?
This is autobiographical.  I wish I had been as wise as this mother.  I wasn't. (This little boy even reminds me of my youngest when he was that age!)
 
 
WHAT?
Why does the Savior put so much importance upon the sacrament, dear sisters? What importance does this weekly renewal of our baptismal covenants play in our lives? Do we recognize the ability of the Savior to completely cleanse us every week as we worthily and thoughtfully partake of the sacrament? President Boyd K. Packer has testified, “That is the promise of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Atonement: … that at the end of [our lives, we] can go through the veil having repented of [our] sins and having been washed clean through the blood of Christ.”
 
NOW WHAT?
Now my children are grown, I can focus on my covenants when I take the Sacrament.  Unfortunately, I have been forgetting of late.  I need to recommit myself to be more mindful of Jesus sacrifice for me.
 
Text copyright November 2013, Gebara Education
Pictures:
Taking the Sacrament from www.lds.org
Da Vinci's Last Supper from multiple sources on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment