Friday, February 1, 2013

Hafanau Ddiogel

Valle Crucis Abbey, Wales
 
I have named my home.  The name is Welsh in honor of my Llewellyn ancestors -  Hafanau Ddiogel.  It means Safe Haven.  I have wanted a named home for many years, like those homes in British literature.  Recently, I have wanted a home that can be a spiritual and emotional safe haven for those who might need it.  A few weeks ago, I brought the two desires together.
 
I thought about my Hafanau Ddiogel this morning because of a visit I had with a good friend yesterday.  My friend is a young mother and she's going through some of the trials inherent in that stage of life.  As she spoke, I remembered some of my own struggles in the years following Carmon's death.  I often felt as if I had the world on my shoulders, a black rain cloud hovering constantly over my heard, and a strong and alien wind in my face.  That is where my friend is now.
 
I shared with her that I had known that season in life, when you feel like that character from Greek mythology who is eternally pushing a huge boulder uphill, only to have it roll right back down again.  What I wanted her to know is that the season really doesn't last forever, even on those days when it feels as if it will.  I also hoped she understood that God will not abandon her and that I am her true friend.
 
I am in a different season of my life now.  My children have grown into strong and capable adults.  I have retired from my career.  I have entered a time of serenity in my life.  I am now able to give back, to reach out and share that peace with others who come to my home seeking peace.  I am in that season where I can make of my home and of my life a Safe Haven.
 
I am thankful to a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior to whom I owe a debt I can never pay.  I am thankful for all of the experiences of those years when I struggled against the wind, the rain, and the world on my back as I rolled my stones up the hill.  All of those experiences have taught me patience and grace and love.  The best way I can love and serve God is by using those experiences and the quality of character they have helped me develop to love and serve His children. Hafanau Ddiogel
  • Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
  • By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
  • And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
  • And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
  • And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Romans 5: 1-5)
Text copyright Gebara Education February 2013
Photo of Valle Crucis Abbey from www.fliker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment