Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

 

As I mentioned yesterday, Richard Draper likes to joke that these are not wild horses, but that people have run wild with them.  From my online research, this is certainly true! That is why the Prophet Joseph went directly to the Lord in prayer when he had a question about anything, which is a great pattern for us to follow.  If we look upon the seals as separating millenia of history, then the four horsemen of the first four seals represent a dominant feature about those first four periods of time.

I decided to look at the meaning of colors in Hebrew for a key as to those dominant features.  The Bible quotes (blue) are from Revelation 6 (KJV); the information about color in Hebrew (purple) is from a Christian Apocalyptic site.*  The black notes are mine and should be taken as my personal impressions, not doctrine.  Direct quotes are italicized.

2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

White is a color of purity and righteousness. It is also used to describe things in nature.

The crown causes me to think of kingship and dominion over the earth (given to Adam in Genesis 1: 26.)  The bow could mean the power by which man conquers, but it could mean the power by which man obtains food.  When Nephi broke his bow in 1 Nephi 6, it was a serious tragedy because it meant hunger to his family.  I have also heard it used to symbolize peace.
 
4 And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.
 
There is a diverse use of the color red throughout the Scriptures. Its primary associations are blood and war.
 
Because peace was taken from the earth, the second horseman usually represents war.  The sword would also represent war because one doesn't usually use a sword to obtain food for his family.  I have also heard of red used to symbolize aggression and violence.  The second millennium must have been a time of much warfare.

5 . . . And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.

6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.
 
Black is primarily associated with the negative aspects of human experience - including death, disease, famine, and sorrow - all of which are the results of sin.
 
Black here represents famine, with its attendant pestilence and disease.  There have been many times in history when famine was a dominant and chronic condition.  I am remembering that it was famine that brought Jacob and his family to Egypt.

8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
 
There is no color pale, but the fourth horse is often represented as a pale, sickly green.  Therefore, I researched the meaning of green.  Note, in particular, the last sentence:
 
Green is primarily associated with plant life. As a result we can view it as a symbol of natural growth and life. The exception is its use in Leviticus to denote disease.
 
The disease mentioned in Leviticus is leprosy.  It was the single most feared disease in ancient Israel.  As gross as it sounds, pale green could also represent gangrene, when individual parts of the body become necrotic.  Thinking about it spiritually, it could represent the necrotic state of our spirits through sin.  Therefore, it would be the perfect color for a horse representing death, including spiritual death. 
 
As I ponder my scripture study this morning, I am remembering the Hebrew verb tense, the prophetic future.  It is what allows prophets like Isaiah to speak about the past, present, and future in a single phrase.  Joseph Smith was taught that these four horses represent the first four great periods of time from Adam to just prior to the birth of Jesus.  I believe this. 
 
Many other apocalyptic scholars believe these things are yet to come.  Given the prophetic future, I can believe this, too.  We certainly live in a time when men seek power and unrighteous dominion; when there are wars and rumors and wars; a time of famine and disease; a time of death.  That these conditions are among those prophesied as signs of Christ's Second Coming tell me that things are going to get worse before they get better. (See Matthew 24: 6, 7)
 
Rather than getting caught up in past, present, or future argument of trying to interpret the horsemen, I liken the scriptures to myself: what does this mean to me in this moment in time? 
  • It means I recognize that life is not easy, never has been, and never will be until Jesus comes again.  The world is in constant turmoil.  These are perilous times.  It would be easy to get caught up in a state of utter mental chaos if I were to dwell on the negativism around me.  Rather than allowing myself to be fearful, I center myself in faith in Jesus Christ.
  • I look at those things I can control and those things that I cannot control. I try not to waste physical, emotional, or spiritual energy on the latter.  Instead, I focus on the former.  I strive to be prepared physically, emotionally, and spiritually for whatever comes insofar as it is in my power to do so.  I work to keep oil in my lamp and some to spare. (See Matthew 25) 
  • I try to make my home and my life one centered in the peace of the spirit so that others can feel it when they are with me.  I want to create a safe haven in the midst of turmoil. 
 
God didn't give these prophetic images so that I can curl up in a ball and wait in fear to die; He gave these images so that I might repent and seek daily to bring my will into harmony with His as I await His coming.  That is my message from the horsemen: one of faith, not fear.  It would be my prayer that you might also find His peace in the midst of the chaos of the world and that you might find it in this single moment.

* Meanings of colors in Hebrew from www.ridingthebeast.com/articles/colors/
 
Text copyright Gebara Education February  2013
 
Picture of the four horseman from www.freechristianimages.org

No comments:

Post a Comment