Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Godhead and the Basic Doctrine of Christ

The Doctrines and Principles Contained
in the Articles of Faith 
   by Apostle L. Tom Perry

WHAT?  
It is difficult to pick one thing that leaped out as I studied this conference address.  I met Elder Perry many years ago at a stake conference when I was asked to speak at the Saturday evening session.  I also used to see him walking to work at the Church Office Building in the morning when I was on my mission in Salt Lake City.  So I feel a special kinship with him and appreciate his wisdom.

I am choosing to talk about his entire talk and spread it out over several days.  One piece if it makes no sense without the other pieces.

He told the story of his Primary teacher when he was a boy, teaching his class about the Articles of Faith.  Among other things, she taught them that the articles can be grouped into five major topics.  What a great memory tool and an organizational tool to help us understand the precious doctrine contained in the articles.  I am inserting the references Article after each of Elder Perry's comments.  Here is the first of those five categories:  

I. The Godhead and the Basic Doctrine of Christ

We learn from the first article of faith that the Godhead is three personages: God the Father, Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
 
The second article teaches us that we are responsible for our own actions on earth.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
 
The third gives a vision of the Savior’s mission for the salvation of Father in Heaven’s children.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
 
The fourth teaches the importance of basic principles and ordinances.
 
4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

SO WHAT?    
I memorized the Articles of Faith when I was in Primary and reviewed them as I taught my children.  I remember jogging in the morning with Sess when he was eleven; both of us reciting the articles in unison. 

In recent years, I haven't given them much thought.

NOW WHAT?    
Elder Perry wrote: The power of our teacher’s words has been a source of inspiration to me because of the emphasis she placed on gospel study. The scriptures guide us to a standard of truth by which we can judge the knowledge we are receiving, whether it be true or false. True doctrine comes from God, the source and foundation of all truths. The teachings and concepts of true doctrine are found in the gospel of our Lord and Savior.

Another Apostle (now since deceased), Elder James E. Talmage, wrote the quintessential book about the Articles of Faith.  Kim ho Jik, the first Korean convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said of Talmage's book that it was the best book on the Lord Jesus Christ that he had ever read.  Because it's been around for fifty-plus years, I have forgotten.   I want to re-read this landmark book on the Articles of Faith before Christmas! 
 
Text copyright November 2013, Gebara Education
Picture from www.deseretbook.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment