Friday, November 1, 2013

“The Hyperaddictive, Time-Sucking, Relationship-Busting, Mind-Crushing Power and Allure of Silly Digital Games.”

Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage
by Apostle Quentin L. Cook     
                       

WHAT?
Second, some addictions or predilections, while not inherently evil, can use up our precious allotment of time which could otherwise be used to accomplish virtuous objectives. These can include excessive use of social media, video and digital games, sports, recreation, and many others.
 
This was aptly and somewhat humorously noted on the cover of the New York Times Magazine last year (Apr. 8, 2012) referencing the addictive nature of digital games. It read, “The Hyperaddictive, Time-Sucking, Relationship-Busting, Mind-Crushing Power and Allure of Silly Digital Games.” And then in small print: “(Which is not to say we don’t love them too.)” This, in a lighthearted way, emphasizes the necessity of exercising wisdom in our use of the marvelous technological inventions of our age.
 
SO WHAT?
There were many serious topics in Elder Cook's talk.  However, this one pricked my conscience because I play a lot of mahjong and stay isolated in my room at my computer as a result.
 
NOW WHAT?
I am convicted!  If I want to spend time at my computer, it should be doing something productive like indexing or working on my book or blog.  I don't need to stop the games because fun is important, but I need to limit the time I spend playing them, particularly when they crowd out other activities and relationships.
 
This is going to be rough ~ “The Hyperaddictive, Time-Sucking, Relationship-Busting, Mind-Crushing Power and Allure of Silly Digital Games.”

Text copyright November 2013, Gebara Education
 
Pictures:
Lamentations of Jeremiah from www.wikipaintings.com
Mahjong screenshot from Liahong, the Lost Amulets.

No comments:

Post a Comment