Monday, November 4, 2013

The Well of the Word

Teaching with the Power and Authority of God
by David M. McConkie, Sunday School General Presidency
       

 WHAT?
Paul tells us that the gospel comes to men in two ways, in word and in power.1 The word of the gospel is written in the scriptures, and we can obtain the word by diligently searching. The power of the gospel comes into the lives of those who so live that the Holy Ghost is their companion and who follow the promptings they receive. Some focus their attention only on obtaining the word, and they become experts in delivering information. Others neglect their preparation and hope that the Lord in His goodness will somehow help them get through the class period. You cannot expect the Spirit to help you remember the scriptures and principles you have not studied or considered. In order to successfully teach [and live] the gospel, you must have both the word and the power of the gospel in your life.

1. For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. (1 Thessalonians 1: 5)

SO WHAT?
I teach a class to the women of my ward one Sunday a month.  It is based around one of the conference addresses of the prophet, apostles, or other general authorities of the Church.  It is founded solidly in the Word and it is taught through the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  If I saved my study in the Word to just the lesson preparation, I could not teach as I do.  Often I find myself being led by the Spirit to bear witness and testimony that was not in my lesson preparation/outline.  Whenever that happens, I find out later from one of the sisters that the testimony I bore was exactly what she needed in her life at that moment.  I don't know what each woman needs, but God knows. If I am in tune with the Holy Spirit, He can direct me to touch lives.  It is a humbling experience whenever that happens.

NOW WHAT?
Just as my health could not be sustained if I ate only one huge meal each week, so my spirit cannot be sustained if I study the scriptures in one marathon session once a week.  I have to feed my spirit every day, just as I feed my body.  Then, when a moment comes, either in a lesson or in my day-to-day interactions with other, when a thought is laid upon my heart, I can draw living water from the Well of the Word.  Power of the Spirit and the Word of God: a remarkable combination.
 
Text copyright November 2013, Gebara Education
 
Picture of the woman at the well from www.lds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment