Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thy Will, O Lord, Not Mine Be Done

It is difficult, when we are hurting the most; when we are challenged almost to our breaking point; when our hearts groan within us, to say, "Not my will but thine be done."  And yet, that is the prayer that never fails.
 
As our prayers ascend heavenward, let us not forget the words taught to us by the Savior. When He faced the excruciating agony of Gethsemane and the cross, He prayed to the Father, “Not my will, but thine, be done.” Difficult as it may at times be, it is for us, as well, to trust our Heavenly Father to know best how and when and in what manner to provide the help we seek.
 
I cherish the words of the poet:
 
I know not by what methods rare,
But this I know, God answers prayer.
I know that He has given His Word,
Which tells me prayer is always heard,
And will be answered, soon or late.
And so I pray and calmly wait.
I know not if the blessing sought
Will come in just the way I thought;
But leave my prayers with Him alone,
Whose will is wiser than my own,
Assured that He will grant my quest,
Or send some answer far more blest.
 
Text copyright November 2013, Gebara Education
Quotes from President Thomas S. Monson We Never Walk Alone;
Women's Conference September 2013
Poem, Prayer, by Eliza M. Hickok
Picture from www.lds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment