Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48). . . . I am a recovering perfectionist. I spent most of my life trying to be perfect tomorrow, then making excuses to myself and others as to why I'm not - all the while feeling guilty and inadequate. How freeing it was the day that I realized that even Jesus did not call Himself perfect until after His mission on earth was completed. (See The Sermon at the Temple in 3 Nephi 12:48.) Once I knew I would never be perfect like Christ, it freed up all the emotional energy I was using to feel guilty for use in striving to be perfect in Christ. It has made me a better person, a better friend, and a better disciple. To me, perfection became the North Star. I will never reach the star, but I can use it to chart my life's course until I arrive safely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment