Saturday, June 2, 2012

Meeting God in a garden. I can't remember the poet who said it, but I believe gardens can draw us closer to God. They can certainly humble us and teach us about catching weeds early and about the law of the harvest. But I think the two lessons I learn best are patience and letting God handle His part. I planted my square foot garden yesterday. I studied the book and the internet. I ordered good quality seeds. I bought the lumber. My son helped me build the box. I bought the peat moss, compost, and vermiculite. I mixed the soil, 1/3 each, and filled the grow box. I tacked the grids on the top. I made plant markers on popsickle sticks. I planted the plants according to direction. I sprinkled them with water and will do so every day to keep the soil damp. Now comes the difficult part: I wait. I marked on the calendar when each seed is supposed to sprout and when each plant will be ready to harvest. But in so doing, I cannot make them sprout sooner, nor can I harvest early. That is God's part. So I continue to do my part with water and weeding and as for the rest, I let go and let God. "Those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth." Psalm 37:9. Hopefully, I can inherit my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment