Monday, June 18, 2012

"Our highest assurance of the goodness of providence rests in the flowers. All other things – our powers, our desires, our food – are necessary for our existence, but the rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, so we have much to hope from the flowers." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. . . . I am a Sherlock Holmes affectionado. His most famous quotes are "Elementary, my dear Watson" and "The game is afoot!" But my personal favorite Holmsian saying is this one. I causes me to reflect on those blessings God has given me that are just for my joy, not for any utilitarian purpose - sunrises and sunsets (the sun must come up and go down, but does it have to be so beautiful?)- a baby's laugh - the smell of onion and garlic becoming transparent in a small bath of olive oil. God provides for our survival, but He also provides for our pleasure. "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." (2 Nephi 2: 25).

No comments:

Post a Comment