Friday, June 8, 2012

Yesterday, while concluding a session with a client, a song quietly slipped into my memory. I haven't thought of it in perhaps 25 years. It was written by a therpist who worked with young people who were going through a lot of emotional pain. It's from her album, Passing Thru Pain: Songs for the Journey and it's called "Let the River Run." It talks about our tendency to want to push things; to control that which is out of our control; our impatience to be patient. The reprise says, "So when I get impatient, I tell myself 'Let go! Let go!' Don't try to rush the river, it simply can't be done. The river knows it's own place, so let the river run. The river knows it own pace, so let the river run." (Sammi Whytecap) In 12-Step programs like AA, they have a saying, "Let go. Let God." I don't have to fix everything. I don't have to control everything. I don't have to do everything. In truth, I can't. I can only do what I can do and I must learn to leave the rest to Him who created both the river and me. "Believe in Christ . . . for we know that it is by grace we are saved after all we can do." 2 Nephi 25: 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment