Saturday, October 26, 2013

Inasmuch as Ye Have Done It . . .

To My Grandchildren
by President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency
 
WHAT? 
There is one overarching commandment that will help us to meet the challenges and lead to the heart of a happy family life. It applies to all relationships regardless of circumstances. It is repeated throughout the scriptures and in the teachings of the prophets in our day. Here is the Bible wording of the Lord’s advice to all who want to live together forever in loving happiness:

“Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,  “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
 
“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
 
“This is the first and great commandment.
 
“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
 
“On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 22:35–40)
 
 
That great blessing [feeling love for the Savior] has come by encouraging people I care for to go to the Savior for relief from pain, a relief only He can give.
 
While serving others, we are most likely to plead for the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Success in the Lord’s service always produces miracles beyond our own powers.
 
SO WHAT? 
I have tried to live the two great commandments my whole life.  I believe that we demonstrate our love for Jesus Christ by loving our neighbors, for it was He who said: "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25: 40)
 
 
When Carmon was alive, we frequently provided a place of respite, even a home, for many people who were in need.  We were a home where unmarried young women could stay during their pregnancy.  We had a foster child and, later, an exchange student live with us.  We frequently had family members stay for extended periods of time when they needed a place of refuge.  Our house was always the one with the neighborhood "fort".  One neighbor boy loved coming so much, that we used to say he'd come spend the night on Memorial Day weekend and go home the day after Labor Day!
 
On one occasion, Carmon met a couple who were having car trouble on their way to California.  He gave the man a job helping clean out the warehouse of his employer, then paid the man out of his own pocket by buying the part the car needed and helping the man put it on.  He brought them home, fed them, and let them stay the night in the basement of the home we were building, with warm sleeping bags and a roaring fire.  The next day, he filled their gas tank and sent them off with a box of food for the road so they wouldn't have to stop again until they reached California.
 
This was not unusual.
 
NOW WHAT? 
I, like my late husband, have carried on that legacy.  I have been criticized for it by members of my own family.  That has hurt.  But I will continue to do this as long as I am healthy and independent enough to do so.
 
When I die, I want my obituary to read:
 
She loved and served the Lord by loving and serving His children. 
 
And I pray that the Lord will then say:
 
Well done, thou good and faithful servant. (Matthew 25: 21)
 
Even so, I don't know of any other way to live.
 
Text copyright October 2013, Gebara Education
 
Pictures:
Good Samaritan from www.biblevector.com
Reagan quote from www.jokes,quotes,images.com

No comments:

Post a Comment