Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Responding to Trials



Wilt Thou Be Made Whole? 
by Elder Timothy J. Dyches of the Seventy               
 
           

WHAT?
As we draw near to Him, we realize that mortality is meant to be difficult and that “opposition in all things” (2 Nephi 2:11) is not a flaw in the plan of salvation. Opposition, rather, is the indispensable element of mortality and strengthens our will and refines our choices. The vicissitudes of life help us fashion an eternal relationship with God—and engrave His image upon our countenance as we yield our hearts to Him (see Alma 5:19).

SO WHAT?
My life recently has been marked by tremendous challenges.  It has taken it's toll physically and emotionally and mentally.  Some days, I struggle to get even the most basic things done.  It is only through the Grace of God that I have been kept afloat in those areas.  I am blessed to have gone through opposition in all things at other times in my life, because I know that such times are not a punishment from God or a flaw is His eternal plan of happiness for His children.  The growth through those experiences has sustained me through this most recent challenge.

The Savior's life was full of examples of His asking those who suffered, "Wilt thou be made whole?"  One such example was at the Pool of Bethsaida.  I love Carl Bloch's painting.  The man to whom Jesus is speaking (under the tent) looks to Jesus for salvation and is made whole and healed.  The man in the red cap is looking away from Jesus.  I think that is Bloch's way of saying that many don't look to the very one who can heal them.  In times of trial they become angry at God or turn away from Him completely.

NOW WHAT?
As I pray for relief, I must remember to submit my will to His.  I know what I want and I plead for it.  However, on one occasion recently, I've had a glimpse of why He is not sending what I want right now.  It was a sobering moment.

I will be like the people of Alma who prayed to be delivered from their particular bondage.  God did deliver them eventually in His own time; in the meantime, He gave them strong shoulders to bear the burdens place upon them.  I will begin to pray for strong shoulders.

Text copyright October 2013, Gebara Education
 
Picture from www.ldsartco.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment