Wednesday, October 23, 2013

To Broken Vessels

Like a Broken Vessel
by Apostle Jeffery R. Holland  
 
 
                          
WHAT?
The Apostle Peter wrote that disciples of Jesus Christ are to have “compassion one of another.” In that spirit I wish to speak to those who suffer from some form of mental illness or emotional disorder, whether those afflictions be slight or severe, of brief duration or persistent over a lifetime. We sense the complexity of such matters when we hear professionals speak of neuroses and psychoses, of genetic predispositions and chromosome defects, of bipolarity, paranoia, and schizophrenia. However bewildering this all may be, these afflictions are some of the realities of mortal life, and there should be no more shame in acknowledging them than in acknowledging a battle with high blood pressure or the sudden appearance of a malignant tumor.
. . .
If you are the one afflicted or a caregiver to such, try not to be overwhelmed with the size of your task. Don’t assume you can fix everything, but fix what you can. If those are only small victories, be grateful for them and be patient. Dozens of times in the scriptures, the Lord commands someone to “stand still” or “be still”—and wait. Patiently enduring some things is part of our mortal education.
 
For caregivers, in your devoted effort to assist with another’s health, do not destroy your own. In all these things be wise. Do not run faster than you have strength. Whatever else you may or may not be able to provide, you can offer your prayers and you can give “love unfeigned.” “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; … [it] beareth all things, … hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth.”
 
Also let us remember that through any illness or difficult challenge, there is still much in life to be hopeful about and grateful for. We are infinitely more than our limitations or our afflictions!
 
SO WHAT?
This was by far the Conference address that touched me the most.  In my professional life as a counselor, I worked with many who struggled with mental and emotional challenges.  But that is nothing compared to the struggles of those I love within my own family.  I feel so helpless at times.  I do try to do everything for everyone.  Some days I feel that my physical and emotional health are on the brink.  Yesterday I went to my bed at 5:00 PM because I hurt in both body and soul.  I drank a protein shake and some ginger ale and read a book about Elijah the prophet.  I read from the scriptures, then listened to an uplifting tape.  I called my son.
 
I feel somewhat better today, but it is an every day battle against discouragement and fatigue.  I pray for more love; more patience; more compassion.  I also recognize that if my well gets empty, I will have none of the above to draw upon.  And so I pray.  And pray again.
 
NOW WHAT?
I called for an appointment with my own counselor whom I haven't seen in awhile.  I will talk to her next Monday.  Meanwhile, I will strive to remember that I am not the Potter; I am also His clay.
 
I covet your prayers until then and always.  Thank you.
 
Text copyright October 2013, Gebara Education
 

No comments:

Post a Comment