Sunday, October 13, 2013

What? So What? Now What? Allowing the Holy Spirit to Teach


 
Last weekend, despite a hectic schedule, I had the opportunity to listen to most the talks given during the semi-annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  These proceedings are available for further study at www.lds.org.  It is my plan to use these as my daily morning devotional for the next several weeks.
 
After a welcome from Church president, Thomas S. Monson, the first speaker was a living apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ: Elder Robert D. Hales.  Elder Hales spoke about the importance of the very conferences at which he speaks.  One of the things that resonated with my spirit was that the speakers speak by the Spirit.  If we will approach each talk in tune with the Spirit ourselves, the Lord can use their words to personally tutor us in whatever things we need for the strengthening of our own spirits.
 
To quote Elder Hales: This is possible because the Holy Ghost carries the word of the Lord unto our hearts in terms we can understand. When I take notes at conference, I do not always write down exactly what the speaker is saying; I note the personalized direction the Spirit is giving me.
 
What is said is not as important as what we hear and what we feel. That is why we make an effort to experience conference in a setting where the still, small voice of the Spirit can be clearly heard, felt, and understood.
 
I follow a simple idea when approaching such an experience.  I ask myself the following three questions:
WHAT?
SO WHAT?
NOW WHAT?
 
What resonated with me during this address?  What felt important? 
 
So what is going on in my life right now that made that particular idea jump out at me?  Why is it important? Prayerful meditation on this will give you the answer.  It may come immediately or it may come later as the Holy Spirit continues to tutor and enlighten.
 
Now that I understand how this fits into the needs of my life right now, what an I going to do about it. 
 
It is important to listen to the words of the Lord.  It is more important to feel those words speak to our hearts.  It is most important to do what the Spirit guides us to do.
 
Elder Hales said it this way: We accept the Savior’s invitation when we ponder and pray to understand what we have been taught and then go forward and do His will.
 
 In the words of a popular primary song:
 
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with Him someday.
 
Text copyright October 2013, Gebara Education
Song lyric from the hymn I Am a Child of God, LDS Children's Songbook
 
Picture from:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment