Saturday, October 12, 2013

Just Sayin' Saturday

To say that I have experienced a stressful month would be an understatement!  I have been in absolute survival mode to the degree that I "lost" the entire month of September.  It was like going straight from late August to mid-October.

I had contracted with the local school district to do a professional training in positive classroom management with some of their newer teachers.  This in service was scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday this past week.  In the beginning, that meant going from one set of stresses to another: preparing my materials and my mind for a course I haven't taught in over a dozen years.  I spent all of Monday and Tuesday in high gear mode and went to bed exhausted before 7:00 PM.

But once I started teaching Wednesday morning, it was wonderful.  My class was delightful.  It's members were open to learning and eagerly participated in the activities.  They asked thoughtful questions and, when we did our review Thursday morning, they were able to make personal commitments about integrating new habits into their teaching.  I woke up yesterday with the weight gone from my shoulders and a smile on my face.

Life is short.  Occasionally, it throws you a curve ball and you have to play it the best you can.  That often means STRESS.  When that happens, I struggle to de-stress.  It's like putting my car in park, then keeping the accelerator on the floorboard.  I expend a lot of energy and don't get anywhere.

I'd like to say I was able to de-stress in the moment, but I wasn't.  I failed miserably and because of it, I still have an energy debt I am trying to pay.  But I loved doing my class and look forward to another in November.  I laughed yesterday - out loud! - and I enjoyed the October sky.  I still went to bed before 7:00, but I feel now that I am getting there.

I covet your prayers.
 
Text copyright October 2013, Gebara Education
Poster from Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment