Thursday, October 17, 2013

Significant, But Subtle Blessings

The Windows of Heaven
by Apostle David A. Bednar   
 
      
                                                                    
What?
Often as we teach and testify about the law of tithing, we emphasize the immediate, dramatic, and readily recognizable temporal blessings that we receive. And surely such blessings do occur. Yet some of the diverse blessings we obtain as we are obedient to this commandment are significant but subtle. Such blessings can be discerned only if we are both spiritually attentive and observant (see 1 Corinthians 2:14).

Sometimes we may ask God for success, and He gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective and increased patience, or we petition for growth and are blessed with the gift of grace. He may bestow upon us conviction and confidence as we strive to achieve worthy goals. And when we plead for relief from physical, mental, and spiritual difficulties, He may increase our resolve and resilience.

So What?
This is a commandment faithfully kept.  Yet in the past few months, I have struggled financially.  I have taken on the care of a disabled family member who is awaiting a decision from Social Security.  To say it has been a challenge is to be somewhat understated.  With no immediate end in sight, it is hard not to become disheartened as I watch my savings dwindle.

After listening to Elder Bednar and rereading his conference address, I have realized that I have been blessed with all of the things he mentioned: physical and mental stamina; enlarged perspective and increased patience; conviction and confidence; resolve and resilience.  I have also been blessed with the understanding that the "stuff" of this life is just "stuff" and I won't take it with me.  All I can take to the next life is who I am and have become and will continue to become.  That will be a price above rubies if I can present to the Lord clean hands and a pure heart.

Now What?
I continue in faith that God knows me and my situation; that He is blessing me daily and will continue to bless me with abundance from the windows of His heaven.

Text copyright October 2013, Gebara Education
 
Picture from www.heartcenter.org

No comments:

Post a Comment