Saturday, December 29, 2012

Choosing Our Thoughts and Actions

Moving forward into the new year is all about choices.  I loved this poster on several levels: the most obvious on is that we choose based on values rather than on personal gain.  The second is less obvious: we don't just choose what we do; we choose what we think.
Choosing behaviors based on values shows that we are in it for the long haul.  We are not choosing merely based on current desire or expediency.  We choose what we know to be right, even when it is not convenient.  I remember a time in my life when my heart was severely shaken.  My mother had just died and I was vulnerable.  Several very challenging things were going on in my life and I was so depressed and shell shocked that I couldn't feel anything. (My friend bpp will remember that time very clearly, for she feared for my faith.)  As I approached that new year (1990) I remember kneeling in prayer.  I told God that I didn't feel anything, even Him.  But I promised Him that I would continue to choose my behaviors based on what I knew to be right, trusting Him that my feelings and faith would return.  It was not an easy choice when there were days when I wanted to turn my head to the wall and die, but I did it, one painful step at a time.  In time, the feelings did return and so did the faith, much stronger than before.  I am so grateful that I never did a shameful thing during those long months and was able to move forward without regrets.
 
Choosing thoughts based on values is key.  In Proverbs 23: 7, we read: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.  This is true, because behavior and character begin as thoughts.  Nothing was ever done in this life that wasn't a matter of some thought beforehand, even if it was a quick impulse and the doer hardly aware of the thought preceding the action.  We cannot always stop every thought that pops into our heads, but we can choose not to dwell on thoughts that are outside of our value system.  Some people feel they can do anything they want in their own minds because no one will know.  The fallacy here is that God knows and the person knows, and if the person continues to play with fire in his mind, it is only a matter of time before he is playing with fire in his behavior.  That is why the Savior told us not to allow ourselves to be consumed with anger or lust or covetousness.  All three lead to graver sins.
 
So as I write my resolutions this year, I will consider what I value most and resolve to do better within the context of what is precious to me.  I invite you to do the same.
 
Text copyright 2012 Gebara Education
 
Picture from Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment