Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Carpe Diem

 
I struggled with a different blog this morning that just didn't seem to be coming together.  That is usually my signal that I need to go in a different direction.  I found that direction in this Facebook post this morning.  Posted by my sister, this message meant a lot to me. 
 
I am getting to that age of human development that Erikson called Integrity versus Despair.  It's not a chronological age.   It's comes when you realize that you have more birthdays behind you than ahead of you.   As you look back over your life, you can have a sense of peace or a sense of extreme sorrow and regret.  The past cannot be changed "That it is what it is, do not blame me," said the ghost of Christmas past to Scrooge.
 
That's why I love this message and its allusions to repentance, forgiveness, and grace.  Each day of our lives we have another chance for a new beginning through Christ. I am grateful.  Because of His gift to me, I can look back at the things I have done wrong and say, "Thanks for the lessons learned," and not with regret or despair.  I can move foreword and take this opportunity at another chance in the future that begins now, no matter how many birthdays there may be ahead.  Dr. Cecilia Peek once said of Jesus Christ, "I am the totally present and totally current God.  Your past can be forgiven and your future assured all in this single moment in time."
 
Reach out and grasp that opportunity.  Seize the day!
 
Text copyright Gebara Education 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment