Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Letting the Symbols Speak

Yesterday, I got quite excited studying the symbolism of numbers in the Hebrew language and culture.  Today, I am doing the same thing with other symbols: beasts, eyes, horns, wings, etc.  While it is interesting and important to get the gist of the meanings, I think it is also important not to get so caught up in picking the nits of the symbols that you miss the big picture. 
 
There are four beasts mentioned in Revelation 4:6-9.  Each had 6 wings and was full of eyes within.  When I looked online I found dozens of different Christian sites; the ones I took the time to read had widely differing interpretations; all of them picked nits and quite a stretch it was. I have decided that the things of God simply cannot be intellectualized!
 
Given that, here are a few of my personal thoughts*:
  • Joseph Smith taught that these were real animals, resurrected and perfected.  For me, that answers the question: "Do animals go to heaven?"  I believe that Jesus saved all that He created and that everything was created spiritually before it was created temporally (see Moses 3:5.) 
  • The eyes usually mean all-seeing or omniscient.
  • The wings can mean power, particular the power of a messenger.
  • The number 6 in Hebrew represents labor. 
  • One beast represents the carnivores; one represents the herbivores; one is a primate (I don't think it is a man); and one represents the birds.
So what is the overall message to me?  John is seeing into heaven.  He is seeing all of the creatures created by God, both men and beasts, surrounding the throne of God and worshipping and praising Him. (Him being the resurrected and living Jesus Christ.) Ezekiel had a similar vision of winged beasts and the throne of God. The thundering and lightning; voice like a trumpet; fire - all hark back to Moses' experience on Mt. Sinai.  When prophets experience a theophany, God often takes them to a tall mountain, the temple, or heaven itself.  John is experiencing a theophany.  It begins in the temple (chapter one) and now moves through a door to the celestial heaven itself.  No wonder John fell at Christ's feet as if he were dead! (Revelation 1: 17)
 
* Again the disclaimer: I am not a minister or university-trained Biblical scholar.  These are my own personal thoughts.  Your thoughts after prayerful study may be different.  God teaches each of us what we most need to know.  What He is teaching me is that He created all things and that, therefore, all creation is in His hand.  No matter how challenging or frightening the outlook, Jesus Christ is in control.  I don't need to worry about anything, but be thankful and prayerful about everything, and allow God to be in charge.  Then I can experience inner peace amidst outer chaos (see Philippians 4: 6-7.) 
 
Text copyright Gebara Education January 2013
Picture of the 4 Beasts of Revelation 4 from www.triviadevotion.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment