Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Still, Small Voice

After the prophet, Elijah, performed a great miracle on Mt. Carmel wherein God shot down fire from heaven to consume Elijah's sacrifice, the King and Queen and all the people of Israel sought Elijah's life.  The prophet fled until he was far away and he hid in a cave.  I'm sure he must have been wondering to some extent about his relationship to God and why things were happening this way after such an impressive miracle.  While he was in this brown study, the voice of the Lord came to him:
  • And he [Elijah] came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
  • And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
  • And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
  • And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19: 9 - 12, KJV)
Now you have to admit that calling down fire from heaven is a pretty elaborate show.  I'm guessing Elijah may have thought that all communication from God would be that obvious.  The Lord had to teach Elijah that He doesn't communicate with men in that fashion.  Rather, He speaks to us through the quiet stirrings of our hearts - thoughts, ideas, feelings, impression. 
 
As I have grown older and - hopefully - wiser, I have tried to fine-tune my spiritual radio reciever so that I can understand God's voice when He speaks.  As I do, I become keenly aware of those things which He has placed upon my heart.  I seek each day to know His will for me that day.  It almost always involves something I can do to serve one of His children.  If you want peace and comfort in the midst of our chaotic world, remember that God is not in the whirlwind or the earthquake or the fire, but in a still small voice.
 
Text copyright Gebara Education January 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment