Monday, January 28, 2013

Numbers in the Scriptures

I've been having fun with numbers this morning.  I'll admit, I am not a math person and have never been interested in numbers and formulae per say.  I also do not believe in the pseudo-science of numerology or any other such belief system that reduces human will to a number, astrological sign, or other such counterfeit.  But, as I study the Book of Revelation which is laden with symbols, I am seeing the significance of numbers in the scriptures.  Certain numbers were highly symbolic in Hebrew and understanding those symbolic meaning helps provide a greater depth of understanding of the scriptures themselves.  
 
I searched online and found interesting information. I have also added information I have gleaned over the years from Biblical scholars*.
 
3 = The number of Heaven
  • 3 Members of the Godhead
  • The fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19; 4:13; Colossians 2:9)
  • 3 degrees of glory (Doctrine and Covenants, Sections 76, 88)
4= The number of Earth
  • 4 seasons
  • 4 cardinal directions
  • 4 phases of the moon, etc.
7= The most significant number in Hebrew; the sum of heaven and earth (3+4)
  • In Hebrew, seven is shevah and connotes full, complete, satisfied, total, perfect
  • God rested on the seventh day because creation was complete (Genesis 2: 2,3)
  • Sheavah (from that root) also means oath, covenant
Just as an FYI (I don't know how significant this is) Matthew wrote about 7 parables of Jesus and John wrote about 7 miracles.  Since they came from that culture, I'm confident they didn't choose to write about only 7 parables and miracles - out of the perhaps hundreds they heard and saw  - simply by accident.
 
12 = The product of Heaven and Earth (3 x 4)
  • It signifies perfection in earthly governance of God's Kingdom and Church.
  • It represents divine authority and appointment (especially when referencing the apostles - Greek apostolos)
  • 12 Patriarchs (from Shem to Jacob)
  • 12 sons/tribes of Israel
  • 12 Judges in Israel
  • 12 Apostles
24 = The doubling of the number 12 represents perfection in heavenly governance as the number 12 represents earthly governance of God's Kingdom and Church (see chapter 4 of Revelation, i.e., the 24 elders, whom Joseph Smith taught were real, resurrected men.)
 
The Book of Revelation is full of references to numbers, especially the number 7. It helps me understand those references by thinking of the concepts of completeness and covenants. I find that I have to almost get out of my logical mind and let the symbols speak to my spiritual mind as much as is possible. It is an interesting experience as it tickles the very edges of understanding of a depth that I certainly cannot put into words. John was given these symbols through prophecy and I'm not sure it doesn't take prophecy to understand them!  Perhaps that is why they only "tickle" and don't land solidly. I get only a glimpse, but right now, a glimpse is quite enough!
 
* There are pages and pages of information about numbers, but I am only sharing two or three that I found most pertinent in understanding Hebrew scripture.
 
Text copyright Gebara Education January 2013
Picture from www.123rf.com
One website I found regarding the significance of numbers in the Bible was

No comments:

Post a Comment