Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thoughts on Serenity and Other Good Stuff

I've had a big challenge with my blog: it isn't as fun and inspiring to post without pictures!  I've queried Google about the problem, but as of yet, no response.  So I am recycling some older posts' photos to wake up my brain!

I asked Sunday what you do to calm your racing thoughts when you find yourself caught up in the thick of thin things.  One thing I do is to find a quiet place that invokes a sense of peace and serenity.  This is one such place: the swings in my son's beautiful backyard.  My own backyard in the spring and summer is also lovely; listening to the fountain and watching the humming birds and butterflies in the bird bath and hollyhocks.

In the winter, it's often sitting beside my wood-burning stove, watching the flames, and feeling the warmth.  It's sometimes harder in winter to feel that joy that sneaks upon your shoulders like a butterfly.  It's often grey and cold and cloudy.  Then I have to warm my spirit with a good book, good music, or an uplifting video.  Talking to friends on the phone or via Facebook or email are other ways I lift my spirits this time of year.

Finally, I find that having something to do each morning when I wake up is an important incentive for a good day.  There is nothing worse, longer, or more boring than a day in which I have no reason to get out of bed!  Right now, I am preparing my home for my sister who will be moving in with me next month.  I get up each day, have scriptures, prayer, check cyberspace, then my to-do list, and off I go to a great day.  It may not be the serenity of hummingbirds and butterflies, but it will do until spring!

Text copyright Gebara Education January 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment